Thursday, September 16, 2010

Beliot College Mindset List Reflection

              The Beliot College “mindset list” for the future college graduates of 2014 is very amusing.  In fact, it is a fantastic example to recognize how our generation is so different from those of our parents and grand-parents.  Everyday this world is changing and we are a part of it.  I found some of these assumptions on the list more believable, and also, I found assumptions I completely disagree with.
               Number 62 reads, “Having hundreds of cable channels but nothing to watch has always been routine.”  I whole-heartedly agree with this statement because this is a problem for me quite often.  Obviously, having hundreds of cable channels should result in hundreds of choices and things to watch, but our generation does not look at it this way.  There have been times when I’m simply not interested or just too picky in the shows that are on.  When our parents were this young they were lucky to have a TV in the first place.  This makes me realize how I take advantage of what I have because it is so common. 
                I disagree with the statement, “They’ve never recognized that pointing to their wrists was a request for the time of day.”  This statement is a low blow to our generation.  It criticizes our knowledge of a commonly used gesture in everyday lives.  If I was to point at my wrist for the time, my peers would know exactly what I was asking for.  Wearing watches is not common anymore and cell phone use is, but this gesture will most likely always be used in society.
                The graduates of 2014 are most definitely different from past generations because of the growth of societies and through technology.  Beliot’s list reminds people that humans evolve in lifestyle and knowledge.  Knowledge of the present is becoming knowledge of the past.  A large majority of that knowledge slips through the fingers of many as each generation passes.

12 comments:

  1. I have to agree that having multiple channels is somewhat of an advantage. I also agree to the point about wrists. When someone points to their wrist, I usually know that they are talking about time. It is a shame though that you are right about how knowledge slips by as generations go by. I think that these blogs and these lists will help many classes retain knowledge in the future.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yes. The T.V. channels are a huge problem and always have been for me. I understand that. The pointig to the wrist for time is dumb. I think most of our class has the common sense to figure that one out. Were not that behind in time. We know what it means. I agree we are a different generation and have some differences but we know what were doing.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I agree! The TV channels are just showing how much society changes with the help (or hurt) of technology. And I agree that we have the common sense enough to figure out what pointing to our wrist means. Just because our generation is different and changing from past generations doesn't mean we're completely behind in the world.

    ReplyDelete
  4. awesome blog setup especially with the fish tank...but i COMPLETELY agree with what you said about the wrist thing, everyone knows that pointing to the wrist means they're asking for the time.

    ReplyDelete
  5. You read my mind girl!! I completely agree one hundred billion percent with absolutely everything that you said.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I agree with the points made in your blog. Sadly, we have many more tv channels to watch today compared to previous generations, but many channels are cluttered with uninteresting, useless programs which are a waste of time to watch. However, we should be thankful the abundance of shows we are able to watch. I'm sure the number is even comparable to our parents generations. Overall great blog!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I really like that you present both sides in your view. There are things we take for granted, yet people underestimate us for the knowledge we do have. Somewhere there needs to be a balance between our own knowledge and that of what other generations think of us.

    ReplyDelete
  8. As I read more and more of these I realize I pick a point and stick with it without looking at the whole picture for the most part. Or if I do notice the whole picture I only briefly comment on a lot of the parts and stick with the thing that irks me. So I applaud you for being able too take different approaches to this mindset, while I clearly did not.

    ReplyDelete
  9. i also agree with tyler on your post too. but again i dont know a single person that doesn't know what someone pointing to their wrist is wanting. i still think these mindset list people are in their own little world. :)

    ReplyDelete
  10. I fully agree with your comment on pointing to our wrists to ask for the time - this article seemed to try to put out a false image that we are worse than we actually are. Great blog post!

    ReplyDelete
  11. This was nice to be able to set the 2 sides apart. Time time time. Its everywhere we go not enough of it, and there trying to tell us we dont no what it is. I wonder whats going through these peoples head!?

    ReplyDelete
  12. I very strongly agree with your blog. when they generalize us by saying that we don't recognizes what it means to point to your wrist for the time is completely false. we don't usually have a wrist watch yes but we know what it means and can tell you perfectly fine by reading a clock on our cell phones.

    ReplyDelete