Thursday, October 14, 2010

Teenager at Alcatraz Diversity Event

Awhile back, I made my way over to the MU,  expecting to listen to a horribly boring lecture on a diversity issue.  Well, in fact it was not boring at all and I enjoyed hearing Tim Tingle tell the tale of Clarence Carnes.  Tingle tells us a story based on the information he obtained from many interviews he conducted with Native Americans about the Teenager at Alcatraz.  Tingle didn't just tell the story, he made it come alive.  I think I enjoyed it so much because it was touching to hear about Carnes' challenges he faced in life, such as the decision he made to save a prison guard's life instead of killing him.  One thing that I will take from listening to this story is that everyone has a goodness in their heart.  It was very touching and was much more than I thought it would be.  Listening to this diversity event gives me the incentive to hear others.

No comments:

Post a Comment