Thursday, October 28, 2010

Tweeting or Twitting?!

                My Twitter experience was…interesting and expected.  Well it first started with complications about what the heck I was doing?!?! But I got settled in fairly quickly and used to the website after my attempts. Here it is-- http://twitter.com/#!/meganjosnyder  … I thought it was kind of cool how we got to see a different part of our peers by using social media in a different way other than Facebook.  Honestly, I looked forward to checking my Twitter account for the first couple of days just because I was curious as to what my friends were up to.  I think Twitter is just a nosey excuse for people though.  I mean, yes, it does have strong potential for the career aspect, but there isn’t really any other point to it for recreational use.  It’s just another version to creep.
                Since there is potential to finding jobs through social media, such as Twitter, I found the readings on the Six Degrees of Separation, Twitter Style--http://www.sysomos.com/insidetwitter/sixdegrees/) quite entertaining.  I learned that it would be beneficial to have a Twitter account to open up possibilities for future employers.  Especially since this reading says that we are only six steps away from practically everyone on Twitter.  An employer is bound to find employees through Twitter.  I also learned that it is better to engage your friends in Twitter through having meaningful tweets.  Putting in more to Twitter will result in a better outcome and satisfaction with it.  For example, tweeting that you are going to lunch is not very entertaining to readers.  Why not ask a question or explain a fact.  Twitter is a great way to connect so use it to your advantage.
                If I choose to continue my Twitter account, it will only be for the sake of having one or needing one in the future.  I believe that this can help my career someday, but that day is certainly not now.  Twitter is actually a valuable resource, even though I’m not exactly interested.

3 comments:

  1. I loved your title Megs. I agree that Twitter connects to employers. But I think that employers should find employees the good old fashioned way-through the want ads. And if they want to do a background check, then pay for one on one of those website thingys

    ReplyDelete
  2. I like that you are basically on both sides of the Twitter debate. Most people are very one-sided on the topic, but it's nice to feel positives in both directions.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I agree. Twitter is a whole new level of creeping. If I wanted that, I'd become a stalker. But, I also agree that someday it could help in the career aspect.

    ReplyDelete